From:
"Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1992 12:26:00 EDT
On the Ulvis Katlaps eligibility question, Mark Grassl mentions:

>Ulvis is 24 yrs old.  I donot believe there is a strict age limit.
>Rather the eligibility committee looks at the number of years played
>in a high level league such as Canadian Junior A or the Soviet league.
>Players generally lose 1 year of college eligibility for each year
>in such a league.

There is an age limit, of sorts.  The NCAA rule is that any participation
in organized sports during a 12-month period after the student's 20th
birthday (and prior to enrolling for the first time at college) counts as a
year of varsity competition; i.e., loss of one year's eligiblity.  There is
a special rule for hockey which states that if the player turns 20 in the
middle of a season, that season does NOT reduce eligibility.

Dr. Stephen E. Roth                                 BITNET:   ROTH@CANISIUS
Dean of Student Services
Canisius College                                     PHONE:  (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14208                                FAX:  (716) 888-2525