Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1992 08:11:04 EDT
Michigan and Notre Dame opened the season Saturday night with a non-
conference game at Yost Ice Arena in Ann Arbor.  I had the pleasure of
chatting with Hockey-L's Keith Instone before the game and Ric Schafer
(UND Head Coach) after the game.

My overall impression was that UND was a step slower than the Wolverines,
but the Irish will definitely improve this season -- playing tough CCHA
opponents week after week.  To the best of my ability (Yost's improved
sound system is far from improved), here is the summary:

Scoring:
Notre Dame    0  0  1 -- 1
Michigan      2  2  2 -- 6

Shots:
Notre Dame   10  1  9 -- 20
Michigan     13 12  7 -- 32

 2:28 ND Gregoire (slashing)
 3:38 ND Janicke (charging)
 8:00 ND Gruber (interference)
 9:11 UM Stewart (Wiseman,Tamer) PPG 1-0
12:04 UM Tamer (roughing)
14:35 ND Rushin (roughing) UM Stewart (roughing)
17:12 UM Hogan (interference)
18:50 ND Black (slashing)
19:52 UM Oliver (Wiseman,Roberts) PPG 2-0
21:51 ND Morshead (hooking)
25:00 UM Willis (charging)
26:58 UM Oliver (unassisted) SHG 3-0
30:09 UM Oliver (unassisted) 4-0 NATURAL HAT TRICK
32:56 ND Black (roughing) UM Arnold (roughing)
33:25 UM Sinclair (high sticking)
37:18 ND Coe (charging)
40:54 UM Oliver (Wiseman) 5-0 OLIVER'S 4TH CONSECUTIVE
42:54 UM Sinclair (roughing)
44:12 UM Ward (high sticking) Lothrop in, Louder out in ND goal
46:36 UM Tamer (charging)
55:59 UM Willis (cross checking)
56:11 UM Tamer (roughing)
56:26 ND Ling (Osiecki,Bruininks) 5-on-3 PPG 1-5
57:23 ND Morshead (charging)
58:08 ND Hasselman (holding)
58:33 UM Wiseman (Sittler,Roberts) 5-on-3 PPG 6-1

Stars:
1-UM, Oliver (4-0--4)
2-UM, Stewart (1-0--1)
3-UM, Wiseman (1-3--4)

Attendance - 5139.
Officials - Laduke(R),Shegos(R),Lulich.

Steve Shields was in goal for Michigan for periods 1 and 2.  Chris Gordon
played the 3rd, allowing the 5-on-3 goal (nothing he could do about it).
At 32:56 (see box), Notre Dame's Rushin left the bench to join the on-ice
altercation, for which I thought he should have been ejected.  However,
because it was "roughing", not "fighting", nothing came of it.

This team (Michigan) will go a long way if David Oliver produces 4 goals
per game.  :-)

This weekend:  I abandon the Maize and Blue (at Ferris) to see my first
game ever involving a Hockey East team.  I'll be in Kalamazoo watching
Merrimack and Western Michigan.  See you there, Mike.

John H
U Mich