From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1992 00:41:26 EDT
"[log in to unmask]" writes:
>A situation occured in tonight's game between Ohio State and Toronto which
>really didn't seem right to me.  There was an altercation in front of the
>Toronto net which resulted in several penalties being called.  Two players for
>Ohio State where charged with minors (one for roughing and the other for
>charging) and one player for Toronto was charged with a double minor (for
>roughing.)  All penalties were deemed "coincidental" and as such both teams
>skated full strength.  Under the old system, Ohio State would have been
>shorthanded for two minutes (4-3) and then on the powerplay (5-4) for two
>minutes.  While full substitution certainly increases participation, it
>significantly changes the complexion of the game!

Yes, the penalties were deemed coincidental because an equal number of
minor penalties were called on players from both teams (rule 4-2-e).
However, under the old rules, I believe the result would have been 4x4 play
for 2 minutes; the two roughings would cancel leaving another roughing and
a charging to be served.  But I cannot find a rule to back this up; Kenny,
can you help?
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*