Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 1992 11:01:00 EDT
Just a few thoughts on the ECAC playoffs:

Greg writes:
  > It's about as inaccessible as you'd fear.  Up the Northway
  > from Albany (a nice, major highway) but then a small, winding
  > two-laner for enough miles that a driving snow would be a major
  > annoyance.

It's really not that bad of a trip at all.  Yes, winter weather could
be an annoyance, but the road crews there know how to handle a couple
of inches (or more) of snow.  Although the highway is two lanes it
is very wide (as two laners go) and was well paved the last time I
travelled it.  So really in my mind its pretty accessible, after all
the whole world (practically) was there in 1980 with minor difficulties.

The real question is does Lake Placid hold any "home" advantage for the
North Country teams (Clarkson, St.Lawrence).  I don't think so, although
there may be more fans of these teams there this year in the past.

I feel that the ECAC should seriously consider Albany and the Knickerbocker
Arena for their championships.  The major drawbacks against Boston Garden
were the distance most teams had to travel and the size of the arena.
Lake Placid again has the problem of being a long way for most of the
teams to travel.  Albany however, is about as central as one could get for
all the ECAC teams.  I don't think anyone would have more than a 5-6 hour
drive.  In addition, the Knick is new arena with great seats for hockey.
It is big, but doesn't feel big when you're in it.  Besides with the close
proximity to most of the teams, more fans would be able to make the trip
and fill the place up.  So if anyone has contact with ECAC officials
(Laing Kennedy are you reading??), tell them to think Knick in Albany.

I know some of you will reiterate the complaints that were heard after
the NC$$ championships at the Knick last year. The teams and fans were
lodged too far away from the arena without sufficient public transportation.
Really, I think this is minor problem that can be worked out if another
tournament is scheduled here. (The MAAC basketball tournament doesn't
seem to have these problems and has been quite succesful at the Knick
over the last couple of years).

In other news....I attended a pre=season AHL game between the Capital
District Islanders and the Utica Devils last Friday night.  A 5-2
whipping of the defenseless Devils with a sieve in net.  Some
former college players in action were: David(?) Emma and Scott Pellerin,
for the Islanders and Devils respectively.  I was disappointed in not
seeing Doug Dadswell (Cornell) suited up or on the roster for the Devils.
Anyone hear what happened to Doug??

Can't wait for hockey!!!!!

Eric Hoffman
Cornell '88, SUNY-Albany ??