From:
"(Keith Instone)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Keith Instone)
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1992 08:33:42 EDT
Quotation Bill says:
>The teams involved are Colgate, Toronto, Lake Superior State, and York, and
>according to TSN, Colgate will play Toronto on the 27th, while Lake Superior
>plays York.  Then on the 28th, Colgate plays York and Lake Superior goes up
>against Toronto.  It looks like this "Challenge" is neither a round-robin
>tournament (in which each team would play the other three) nor a traditional
>two-day tournament (there appears to be no consolation or championship game
>scheduled).  If TSN's schedule is correct, perhaps this is a case of both
>Toronto and York wanting to play a couple of US teams, and electing to play
>all the games in one arena, with a corporate sponsor.  A bit of a strange
>arrangement, but I suppose it would cut down on the traveling...

I checked with the CCHA, and the dates and match-ups are correct.

One reason for this "strange" format is due to Lake Superior. LSSU is
using an NC$$ exception to play these games. That is, the games will not
apply to the Lakers' limit of 34. The rule is the travel-to-a-foreign-
country-during-a-holiday rule. Notre Dame went to Switzerland last year
under this rule. One stipulation of this rule is that you cannot play
against any other NC$$ teams. Thus, LSSU cannot face Colgate (but Colgate
can face LSSU because Colgate isn't applying the exception). That, I think,
is the main reason behind the unusual format.

Keith