Jon Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1992 00:48:51 EDT
Brian writes in response to my earlier message:

> Well, you don't have to pander to us by calling us "friends" unless you
> mean it. Anyways, Clarkson has won 2 ECAC TOURNAMENT titles. They have
> won several (6 or 7?) ECAC Regular Season titles. I guess I have the
> (as I call it) "Little brother syndrome" concerning the hockey team
> here. I will curse them if they screw up , but I will defend them if
> an outsider does. I think many fans are like that.

Re: pandering....I guess I couldn't help myself, it is an election year.

Re: regular season titles, does the ECAC recognize them?  Do any of the
other leagues?  I know the NCAA only considers the tournament winner to
be the league champion for the purposes of assigning automatic berths in
its' little get together.  Not giving a berth to the "regular
season champion" is very rare but not unprecedented - ask Harvard.

In any case, 2 ECAC Tournament titles in 31 years and only one in the
last 26 indicates an on-going inability to win in the "big game."  As a
lifelong fan of the Boston Red Sox I recognize this affliction although
it pains me to even think about it.

Perhaps it has to do with going from a small building to
a big one, from travelling farther than any other team (with
the exception of SLU), from the excitement of leaving the
booming metropolis of Potsdam (I'm not really making fun of
Potsdam...it's actually a very nice little town from what I've seen of
it), etc.  Who knows, but Clarkson (I will refrain from modifying a
respected University's name for purposes of ridicule) has long had a
reputation for underachieving in the playoffs.  It will be interesting
to see whether things change now that the ECACs will be in Clarkson's
back yard.

Jon Greene
Data General, Westboro, MA