Jon Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1992 16:01:02 EDT

Mark Gibbons wrote:

> As fate would have it, a couple of years ago the roundball team made the
> "sleep 16" of the NC$$. Radio, TV and newspaper coverage was massive. The
>                          ^ for bb'ers, hockey got little coverage^
> hockey team lost to a bunch of Canadians(i think they had red jersys that
 year)
> in front of a packed house at the Civic Center for second place.

If I'm not mistaken that "bunch of Canadians" was Harvard ('89).  While
perhaps not that bastion of American purity that Minnesota and BC
profess to be, the Crimson are hardly a "bunch of Canadians."  The MVP
of that tournament was Ted Donato (an American).  The top forwards were
Donato, Lane McDonald, Allen Bourbeau and Peter Civaglia...all
Americans.  Other Americans that I can remember include: goaltender
Chuckie Hughes and forwards John Weisbrod and Mike Vukonich.  I'm sure
there are several others, but my memory isn't that good.

Bottom line: they were a team that had a strong American presence....in
fact, strong leadership from American players.  But even if they didn't,
let's try to keep the list from degenerating into another us (or more
accurately U.S.) vs. them debate.  I worry when I see a quality team
referred to as a "bunch of Canadians" as if that were a demeaning remark.

Jon Greene
RPI '82   Cornell '84
Data General, Westboro, MA

P.S. Those who know me are aware that Harvard is hardly my favorite
institution of higher learning...."who'd a thought" I'd ever be
defending them.

casually referred to as

Bottom line: they were a team that had a strong American presence (if not
 American(if
not American