From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1992 10:57:21 -0400
RALPH A COON 8*343-9202 <[log in to unmask]> writes

>    For as long as I can remember Clarkson fans have always had the hardest
>time getting into a game against SLU, and I would easily venture to say the
>same for the SLU students when Clarkson comes to town.  This great "North
>Country Rivalry" has been around longer than most Clarkson Grads that I know
>(Bri Farnell might be able to enlighten us more on that one.).  I know that the
>for the last four years I had to buy the tickets for reserved seats at the
>Clarkson-SLU home games just because the line for the student seats was always
>started before I got out of classes.  The games are always intense (even if the
>scores don't show it) and many students from both schools are in attendance at
>either school's home game.

What Ralph says is still true...to an extent. In old Walker Arena (which
had only 1100 seats, 1500 total), I can imagine how impossible finding a seat
might be. With the new Cheel Arena (3000 seats, 3900 total), there is much
more room than in Walker. Consequently, seats are more plentiful. Lines still
start very early for those 500 student seats but no student is turned down
if he/she wants to stand. There were many SLU fans at Cheel last December and
I was one of a smaller (or, at least, less vocal) contingent of Knights fans
at Appleton Arena in January...even though I had to wait in line for 2 1/2
hours to get SRO tickets.

The rivalry has been around since sometime in the 1920's and Clarkson has
won slightly less than 2/3 of the games. NYAH! :)
BRI FARENELL			  |           CONGRATS TO:
CLARKSON '95			  |      1992 CALDER CUP CHAMPIONS
[log in to unmask]  |      the ADIRONDACK RED WINGS
rec.sport.hockey's AHL contact	  |   Also: 1981, 1986 and 1989 Champs
Get your very own Commissioner's puppet. The Commish's puppet is the newest in
the line of puppets officially licensed by the Major League Baseball owners.
He joins the National League president and the American League president.