From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1992 11:14:34 -0500
Charlie Slavin writes:

>I was just wondering how often this sort of thing
>happens around the country.  I didn't follow high school
>hockey during the 8 years I was in Madison, so I don't
>know if it happened with any of the former UW players.
>How about around any of the other hockey schools in the
>midwest or anywhere else for that matter.

Quite a few UW hockey alumni have gone into coaching in the college
and minor league pro ranks.  In the the local HS area, ex-goalie
Mike Dibble coached at Sun Prairie HS in the past and now coaches
the Madison Capitols, the local junior team.  Bob Suter, who played for
UW in the late '70s and on the 1980 US Olympic team, helped start the
Madison Capitols and is still the head man(president, chairman?) of the
organization.  He has also been the head coach at Madison East HS for the
past 2-3 years.

As an aside, a friend who plays in a Madison over-35 league, says the teams
are peppered with ex-UW players.  Makes for an interesting league when some
casual player might face off against an Olympic gold-medalist like Mr. Suter.

---mg

"[Pat Buchanan looks] like a bulldog that has just enjoyed a good
meal---a child, perhaps."   --Stephen King