From:
"Charles M. Shub" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1992 09:46:58 -0500
> Jon Greene writes:
>
> What other schools have skating mascots?  Cornell has the bear (Dave
> informs me that it has evolved to a male bear and a female bear), RPI
> has the Swarm...how about a Michigan Wolverine, Minnesota Gopher,
> Wisconsin Badger, Maine Black Bear, Ohio State Buckeye (that would
> certainly be different), etc.?

John Haeussler adds:

> The University of Michigan *had* an unofficial mascot, Willie the
> Wolverine, but the U recently banned Willie from entering University
> functions.  Willie used to appear at football games mostly...I never
> saw him at a hockey game.  The goofiest things that ever hit the ice at
> Yost are Jerry Welsh's Ohio State Buckeyes.  :-)
>
> LSSU has a goofy looking mascot (pelican, you say??), but their band
> is more recognized.  It's essentially a Rockestra, complete with drum
> kit, electric guitar(s) and horns.  They cart around their amplifier(s)
> and they are *loud* and annoying.
>
> Western Michigan has a skating puck.  Some little kid skates around
> in a puck costume between periods and throws pucks into the stands.
>
> Of course, Wisconsin has the badger.  THE most obnoxious individual
> in college hockey.  Scores of Michigan fans would love to get their
> hands on the badger.  I guess that makes him an effective mascot.

let me add a few....

UVM (Vermont) has a skating catamount

I've seen the air force falcon (on one occasion) out on the ice at
cadet field house.  The cadets have a collection of "UNOFFICIAL"
mascots called the flashers who wear trenchcoats and when they flash,
they spell out F A L C O N S across their chests, but they haven't
been around for a while, so either the new athletic director or
commandant of cadets or superintendant has put a kibosh on it.

charlie shub  ---   [log in to unmask]
(319) 335-0739      (fax) 335-0627