Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1992 17:29:43 EDT
Although I do not remember the source of this information, (and I claim to be a
 research scientist, so this is bad form) I believe that the impotus for forcin
g teams to play all sports at their own level stems from Basketball.  I recall
that some schools were upset about having to split the pot from the basketball
tourney with more schools.  They wanted to prevent schools from being Div. II
or III in all other sports, but having a Div I basketball team.  This was poss-
ible since the cost of basketball was much less than other sports.  As usual,
some NC$$ rule about that stupid orange ball game had a bad effect on hockey,
as it forced some teams to drop hockey which had been Div III rather than take
it to Div. I (ie. St John's in NYC).  While I can see where some competition
problems could come up (Dayton in Football, Merrimack on ice)  It seems to me
that very few teams really abused the old system.  But we should be thankful
that at least the NC$$ left in some sort of loophole for teams from Div III
schools to remain in DivI hockey if they are already there, for if they had not
 allowed it, the ECAC would lose 4 teams, not to mention the defending National
Champs.

William Sangrey
Cornell '87&'9?
Let's Go RED!!!