From:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlie Slavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1992 13:58:28 EDT
Recently the University of Maine Hockey program has begun
to make its presence felt in yet another way.  On Monday
the new hockey coach at Orono (the town in which UM actually
resides) High was announced to be Bruce Major, a recent
graduate ('89) of the the Maine program.  Earlier this
summer it was announced that Guy Perron ('90) would be
the new hockey coach at Bangor (just a few miles down
the interstate from Orono and the 'city' [in Maine terms]
around these parts) High.

Those of us who follow the local high school hockey scene
are quite excited about these new additions; those of us
who have children in the Orono (and, I'm sure, the Bangor)
program are somewhat nearer to ecstatic about the news.

I was just wondering how often this sort of thing
happens around the country.  I didn't follow high school
hockey during the 8 years I was in Madison, so I don't
know if it happened with any of the former UW players.
How about around any of the other hockey schools in the
midwest or anywhere else for that matter.

I'm just curious as to whether this sort of osmosis
from a very strong college hockey program is standard.
Neither Perron nor Major played much pro hockey.  Major
played about 3 games in the NHL and a season or so with
a minor league (AHL/IHL) team.  I'm not sure, but I think
Perron may have played in Europe.  (I'm sure Wayne knows
and will let me know.)

By the way, Bruce Major is back in Orono (he's a British
Columbia native) working on his Masters degree, and I hear
that he will be helping Shawn Walsh out as an unpaid
assistant.  Looks to be a good deal for Bruce, the Orono
High School Program, and the UMaine Program!

Charlie