From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1992 12:54:10 EDT
Dave writes:
>   As I recall, RPI's amazing '84-'85 team was known informally
>as The Red Swarm; hence that ridiculous frowning bee that skates around
>Houston and hexes the visiting team even to this day.

I may be wrong, but I think the Swarm was around for a while before 1984-85.
BTW, it was a guy in his 30s who played the Swarm.  Quite a nut.  That reminds
me of the 1985 RPI Invitational when LSSU met RPI and the Swarm matched wits
with LSSU's pelican.  One was chasing the other around the rink and they went
underneath the stands, then they came back out - with swapped heads.  The
crowd loved it.  The Swarm was doing his thing where he raises his arms to get
the crowd to yell, and the pelican sneaked up behind him.  At the last second
the Swarm realized someone was behind him - he whipped around and the pelican
threw his arms up just like the Swarm was doing to the crowd.  I don't think
I have ever been at another game where the players were actually watching the
show in the crowd in between the action and from the bench.

>To all you RPIers
>out there ---- I dislike the "puck guy" on your uniforms (although as
>I recall Tony Hejna feels that the puck guy is "huge").

You'll get quite an argument from the RPI team if you attack the puck guy.
The first season Buddy was there, when only the home jerseys were changed
and the road ones remained the same, I talked to some of the players I
still knew there and they all loved having the puck guy on the jerseys.
I think it had something to do with being representational of a change in
management, so to speak.

- mike