From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1992 19:15:32 EDT
Okay, next time I'll read the whole message before replying...

> By the way, in case anyone was wondering why Canisius can't play in the
> DivIII tourney but RPI can play in the DivI tourney, consider the
> hypothetical case of Big State U. which is DivI but whose hockey team has
> struggled for years in DivI.  Without the regulation I spoke of, BSU could
> simply drop down to DivIII and win championship after championship.  But
> if Small State U.has had pretty good success in DivIII and wants to play
> with the big boys, well, there's no harm in that.

This isn't directly related to college hockey, but it's relevant to
the discussion.  There's a similar (same?)  rule (The "Dayton Rule" I
think) for football.  But it doesn't apply to the University of
Dayton.  Dayton is a Division I school which downgraded its football
program to Div III a while back.  They went ahead and won a few
national championships.  People weren't happy about it, so they made
the Dayton Rule.  I believe that now, if a football (or any?) team at
a Division I school plays down a level, they are ineligible for the
tournament (as described by Mike).  But I know first hand that the
Dayton Flyers still compete in the Div III football tournament.  Union
lost to them in the 1989 championship game 17-7.  Dayton won again in
1990, and lost to Ithaca in the championship last season.  Does anyone
know if the rule applies only to schools which have recently moved
down, which would explain why Dayton still plays in the Div III
tournament.

--
| Jim Teresco			Union College C.S. Dept. Graduate Assistant   |
| [log in to unmask]	Schenectady, NY 12308			      |