From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1992 14:47:52 EDT
>The Ice Griffs are a Div. I team, and have been for quite some time (including
>last year!).  The program would probably be better off in Div. III, since that
>would allow us to aim for the Div. III championship, but since the sports
>program as a whole at Canisius is Div. I, our hockey team must follow suit.  We
>share this status with a handful of other eastern schools which sponsor Div. I
>athletics, but do not fund ice hockey to a level that would allow full-fledged
>participation against Div. I opponents.

Yes, Canisius is Division I, but because of a rule that says a team must play
at least 20 games _against Division I teams_ to be eligible for the NCAA* Div. I
tournament, you don't hear much about them. I do not include them in TCHCR, for
example.

The Ice Griffs don't even come close to getting the 20 games, nor do they even
 try
or care to. In the 92-3 schedule, I count about 5 games that *might* be against
teams that call themselves Division I.

My memory is fading on this, but I believe St. Bonaventure, Fairfield and Holy
Cross may be in the same category. St. John's used to be, but I read somewhere
that they finally put an end to it all and went ahead an cancelled the entire
hockey program.

Keith
*sue me