From:
"Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Stephen Roth @ Student Services
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1992 13:09:00 EDT
Erik wrote in reply to my posting of the Canisius Griffins' schedule:

>I'm a Midwestern HOCKEY-L'er who is still a bit confused about the Canisius
>Griffins (great name, eh?).  Aren't they a Division II team?  I know they
>weren't a Division 1 team last year, and I hadn't heard that they had changed
>divsions for this season.  Did I miss something?

The Ice Griffs are a Div. I team, and have been for quite some time (including
last year!).  The program would probably be better off in Div. III, since that
would allow us to aim for the Div. III championship, but since the sports
program as a whole at Canisius is Div. I, our hockey team must follow suit.  We
share this status with a handful of other eastern schools which sponsor Div. I
athletics, but do not fund ice hockey to a level that would allow full-fledged
participation against Div. I opponents.

As for the name "Griffins" ... 'tis an honorable mascot for a sports team:  a
mythical creature with the head & wings of an eagle and the body of a lion,
symbolizing strength & vigilance; and Canisius is the only U.S. school with
that nickname.
Dr. Stephen E. Roth                                 BITNET:   ROTH@CANISIUS
Dean of Student Services
Canisius College                                     PHONE:  (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14208                                FAX:  (716) 888-2525