From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1992 00:20:41 EDT
Bri writes:
>A rules question for anyone who knows, what would have happened if Alaska
>Fairbanks had made the NC$$ tournament and won a game or more with that
>ineligible player? Is there any NC$$ rule providing for something like
>that?

Well, there are at least a couple of marginally related precedents.  In
1973, Denver beat BC in the NC$$ semis before losing to Wisconsin in the
championship game.  A few years later, the NC$$ leveled sanctions against
Denver for some violation or other, and Denver's record of participation in
the '73 tournament was removed.  Thus, they wound up forfeiting the win over
BC as well as not being officially listed as Wisconsin's final opponent.
Also, Plattsburgh won the Division III title in 1987 (?), but they too were
hit with sanctions and had to forfeit the championship.  I think what
happened in that case was that the Division III title was declared vacant,
rather than being handed over to whoever the runner-up was.

Incidentally, according to the NC$$ hockey rulebook, a forfeit is recorded
as having a 1-0 score.
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and probably '94