From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1992 12:39:06 EDT
All of the following is from USA Hockey's American Hockey Magazine, August
1992 edition.  Some of it may be incorrect or outdated.  - mike

=====
...Forty of the NC$$'s top American players will gather for the 1992 US
20-Over Team selection camp in Cromwell, Conn., Aug. 3-15.  That roster will
be reduced to a 22-man team that will play in the Tampere and Sauna Cup
tournaments in Finland from Aug. 15 to Sept. 3.  This program is also part
of the preliminary Olympic selection process.
=====
US 20-Over Team
Competition: Tampere/Sauna Cup, Finland, Aug. 15-Sept. 3.
Training Camp: Cromwell, Conn., Aug. 3-15.
Head Coach: Steve Cedorchuk (Boston College)
Asst. Coaches: John Cunniff (New Jersey Devils)
               Mike Sertich (Minnesota-Duluth)
               Jack Blatherwick (1980, 84, 88 US Olympic Team Asst.)
=====
1992 US 20-OVER TRAINING CAMP ROSTER ANNOUNCED
Forward Ted Drury (Harvard University/Trumbull, Conn.) and goaltender Mike
Dunham (University of Maine/Endwell, NY), members of the 1992 US Olympic Team,
headline 40 of the nation's top NC$$ players 20 and over who have been
invited to a training camp in Cromwell, Conn., Aug 2-15 to attempt to make
the 22-man 1992 US 20-Over Team.  That final squad will play in a pair of
high-level tournaments in Finland from Aug. 15-Sept. 3, according to USA
Hockey.

"This is a new program that is truly innovative," said Art Berglund, USA Hockey
Director of National Teams.  "These players are a big part of the talent
pool for the 1994 US Olympic Team, and we're bringing them in for an intensive
camp experience where they will train under some top Russian coaches, which is
something we've never done for players in this age group.  Then we'll take the
top 22 to Finland for the Tampere Cup and the Sauna Cup tournament, where
they'll face some of Europe's top club and national teams."

Some of the other players included on the camp list are 1992 US National Team
members Ken Klee (Bowling Green State University/Kansas City, Missouri),
Derek Plante (University of Minnesota-Duluth/Cloquet, Minn.), and Barry
Richter (University of Wisconsin/Madison, Wis.).  In addition, a pair of NHL
first-round draft choices - Bryan Smolinski (Michigan State University/Genoa,
Ohio) and Doug Zmolek (University of Minnesota/Rochester, Minn.) are invited
to attend the camp.

"We drew about half of our 1992 Olympic team from the older collegiate group,"
said 1994 US Olympic coach Tim Taylor, "and my preliminary guess is that the
1994 team will be similarly composed.  This program will improve skills and
give us a good evaluation of these players and how they perform on the
international-sized ice sheet under European conditions."

The Russian coaches for the training camp are Juri Karmanov of the Central
Red Army Sports Club (CSKA), for many years the principal feeder club to the
Soviet/Russian Olympic Team, and Yuri Yerfilov of Dynamo Moscow, another
powerhouse club team in the Russian Elite League.  Karmanov served the last
two years as an assistant coach under 1984 US Olympic Coach Lou Vairo at
HC Milan in the Italian Elite League.  These coaches will implement high-
intensity training and skill development for the US squad.

... [edited out repeat listing of team's US coaches, see above. - mike]

Funding for this special program is provided by a grant from the US Olympic
Committee's Team '94 Program, which was instituted to provide additional
training programs in the short two-year period between the '92 and '94
Winter Games.

(end)
=====