From:
Dave Cohrs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Cohrs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1992 15:00:08 EDT
Hi Laura!  Wow, another WCHA fan in NJ, the college hockey wasteland.

Denver, huh?  How about Wisconsin?  Like, who is going to be in the goal
this year?  Where did Derksen decide to go?

I rarely say anything because this list is my lifeline for college
hockey.  If I don't hear it here, I won't hear it anywhere.

Concerning college hockey media coverage, I wholeheartedly agree.  I was
really amazed this past spring.  Even with the pros on strike, and no
pro games on MSG, and the hockey playoffs on some satelite station,
you'd think ESPN or MSG would have shown the games to the hockey-starved
throngs here in NJ instead of reruns of old football interview tapes.  I
mean, come on!  But no, I had to dig thru the paper, hoping that the
sports roundup page would condescend to carrying the NC** playoff
results.  At least on the cable stations, the need for a commercial
every 3.5 minutes is less.  Besides, you can always stick a 15 or 30
second commercial in between all of those offsides and icing calls :-)

Regarding fighting.  I attending my 1st NHL game last winter, and had
the "pleasure" of sitting near some boxing, er, I mean hockey fans.  One
guy was bragging about the fight tapes he makes, and how he tapes all of
the hockey games from SportsChannel and goes thru them just for the
fights.  I think he was disappointed when there was no blood on the ice
after the game.  I thought there was some discussion by the NHL in the
past few months about limiting fighting.  Did anything ever come of
that?

Dave Cohrs, a misplaced Badger backer