From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 1992 09:37:41 EDT
It was reported today in the Bangor Daily News, what we all knew from
Mike Machnik's posting on 14 July ...

>1) Quarterfinals will change from a single-elimination format to two-game,
> total points.  The two games will be played in the normal regular season
> format, ties being possible after 5 min of sudden death OT.  If the series
> is tied after the 2nd game (i.e. 0-0-2 or 1-1-0), then sudden death OT
> will be played to decide the series.

In addition, it was confirmed that the semis and finals *and* a
consolation game, presumably for the benefit of the participants in the
eyes of the NCAA tournament selection committee.

Hockey East Commissioner Stu Haskell was quoted as having a "handshake"
commitment to the Boston Garden for the next 3 years, especially looking
forward to staging the HE tournament in the NEW Boston Garden, when it
becomes available.

wayne (still awed by the U Maine Alumni game)

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
internet:     [log in to unmask]

P.S.  The Alfond Arena reconstruction is *still* not complete, but is
   getting closer.  The new seating is not installed, but the permanent
   flooring for it finally is.  Piles and piles of bags of insulation
   sit around the arena, presumably to cover (what was the beautiful)
   wooden ceiling.

P.P.S.  Maine signed a goalie (Marsh?) out of the Vancouver area.  He is
   expected to red-shirt next season, as breaking into the Dunham-Snow
   show would be difficult.

Still more ...  Roy's 3-year deal with the Rangers @$300,000/yr with a
   signing bonus is a two-way contract.  If Jean-Yves fails to make the
   parent club, he would see a significantly lower (unspecified) amount.

More rambling ...  IMHO, outshining Bob Beers, Keith Carney, Eric
   Weinrich and others on defense at the recent alumni game was BRIAN
   STRAUB.  Expect Brian to be a force in Kalamazoo next season and to
   maybe move up.