From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1992 13:07:12 EDT
Tim writes:
>Has the ECAC ever considered a venue like MSG?  Anyone have any insights
>on the plusses and minuses of college hockey tournies in NYC?

Occasionally, the ECAC has held its "Holiday Tourney" (of the past) at MSG,
but I can't speak for how well it drew.  The last DivI hockey played in that
area that I know of was about 4-5 years ago when the Long Island Classic
was played in, I believe, Nassau Coliseum.  I don't know how it drew, but
it featured BC, Harvard, UIC, and Minn-Duluth.  From my perspective, NYC
is a college hoop town, but definitely not a college hockey town.  Also,
NYC is about as far away from most of the ECAC schools as Lake Placid is,
and it has to cost much more to stage a final four at MSG.

BTW, since we're discussing NYC, I saw in the transactions section of the
paper a while ago that St John's (of NYC) dropped its hockey program.

- mike