Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 1992 22:47:50 -0400
Following Carol's suggestion, I sent a letter to the NC$$ expressing my
opinion on the tournament's new format. I stated my reasons why I felt
the old system was better. I said that I'd prefer to see a return to a best-of-3
regionals but spent more time voicing my opposition to the neutral site
idea. I think that neutral sites would be more exciting and more
people would go. You'd probably find more walkup tix sales. It might not
necesarily be more expensive. I mean, at a neutral site, BOTH teams would
have to spend money on travel instead of just one. Also, both athletes would
miss more class and be away from campus instead of just one. Assistant
Director of Championships Phil Buttafuoco responded:

"...Regarding the format and site selection, the Division I ice hockey coaches
voted...to recommend to the NCAA Division I ICe Hockey Committee that the
presnet format be implemented. The sense of the coaches that the
 single-eliminati
ination format would reduce the tremendous advantage the four teams receiving
byes had...The topic of site selection is one that is on-going and will be a
major topic of discussion with the committee during its upcoming meetings.

The television blackout was established by the committee after reviewing the
advance ticket sales in both Providence and Detroit. It was the decision of
the committee to establish regional sites as spectator oriented before allowing
live coverage...The goal of the committee is to obtain television coverage for
every game in the championship...[general thank you for caring and please
 contact
us if we can help more, etc]."

First off, "...to establish regional sites as spectator oriented before
allowing live coverage..."	Certainly, on-campus sites
were much more spectator-oriented. I mean seeing 7000 fans in a sold-out
campus arena is much more spec-oriented than 5000 fans in a 20,000 seat
neutral site arena.

Oh well, Carol suggested I post this as fodder for discussion. Fire away.

BRI FARENELL			"It's a great day for hockey"
CLARKSON '95			   --Bob Johnson 1931-1991

rec.sport.hockey's unofficial, self-appointed AHL contact
GO ADIRONDACK RED WINGS! 	CALDER CUP CHAMPS: 1981 1986 1989