Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1992 11:00:58 EDT
Mike writes:

> I don't think that money coming from the state of Minnesota means SCSU must
> therefore go after Minnesota players.  Not at all.  I don't recall hearing
> about any restriction placed upon the school as a condition of accepting the
> money for the arena.  Massachusetts appropriated quite a bit of money for
> the new arena at UMass, but no one expects the hoop team to start taking
> mostly Mass. kids, and when the hockey program starts, I am sure they are not
> going to force the hockey team to just grab the kids who don't go to BC/BU/
> etc.

Mike is absolutely right.  I'm sure the state put up the money with the
intent that SCSU would have a competitive team.  That attracts fans and
adds to the environment at the school for all concerned.  If the only intent
is to provide a place for Minnesota kids to play, then a town recreational
rink would do (and no scholarships).

Let's be realistic here....if Minnesota couldn't compete using only
in-state players they would go out of state in a heartbeat.  Otherwise,
that expensive new rink they are building would be empty.  Since they
have been very successful with in-state players that has not been
necessary.  But let's not take a "holier than thou" attitude toward
those schools that don't have such a luxury.

If on the other hand, SCSU can get enough top in-state players to be
competitive....and by that I mean that they beat Minnesota in some
seasons (don't tell me that competitive is a .500 record but always
losing out to the big guys)...then I might agree with restricting the
source of students.  Until then, it would be hypocritical and condescending to
tell a school "you can play Division I but we are going to write
new rules after the fact which ensure that you are cannon fodder for our
team."

Jon Greene

P.S. I wasn't an interested spectator to the negotiations which preceded
the funding of the rink.....if SCSU actually committed to using only
in-state players then the argument above is invalid (but I would then
argue that SCSU and the state were foolish for agreeing to such terms
without first seeing whether they could compete for the top players in
the state).