From:
Dean Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1992 10:42:35 CDT
> Dean, I don't thingk you'll have to worry about any great hockey players
> coming out of the state of Wisconsin (except maybe Marty Wiitala from
> Superior).  That's why Sauer recruits so many Minnesota bred players.  Dan
> Plante is from Hayward, WI but he moved to Edina, MN for his own benefit.

Some great hockey players could come out of Wisconsin. The youth hockey
programs are catching up with Minnesota, although they are still many years
behind.

> As far as Sertich goes, he's just a poor coach.  UMD's 1984 & 1985 teams were
> built on a foundation laid by the previous coach, Gus Hendrickson.  Gus
> lost his position because of poor UMD play; but Sertich hasn't done squat
> since.

I'd like to argue with this, but I'm afraid I can't. I think you're right.
I wonder what would have happened if Sertie would have chosen to go to the
main U back in '86?

> The whole point of offering a scholarship to an athlete is SUPPOSED to be
> for educating him.  In that case, the benefit should be given to
> citizens of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.  Not foreigners.  Period.

Our colleges are giving scholarships to many foreigners, most of them are
not hockey players (or even ever heard of hockey), and most of them are not
Canadian. But that is a different issue.

Duluth/Superior has a very good relationship with the Thunder Bay area. The
youth teams from both cities make trips to Canada for tournaments all the
time, and the Canadian teams come down to D/S for tournaments. The kids get to
know the kids from Canada just as kids from Edina would get to know kids from
St. Paul. That part of Western Ontario is considered part of the area. We
don't see a big wide black border there like others do. It is more a part of
the area then Minneapolis/St. Paul is. UMD knows this, and they recruit there.
Why should they do all their recruiting in the main U's "turf" when they can
recruit in their own "turf"?

> Maybe that's why people think they should recruit instate.

These are Twin City people you are talking about, not Duluth people or
Iron Range people.

-Dean