From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1992 02:33:26 EDT
Denver's participation in the 1973 NC$$s (a 2nd-place) was voided and they
were banned from NC$$ play in something like 76 and 77 for severe violations,
I don't have the exact details.  Lowell was banned from NC$$ play this past
season for numerous violations such as players receiving free housing, recruits
being given free Bruins tickets and other things, and the team being offered
a financial incentive for beating BU (which it did).  Lowell reported
the violations itself, so the NC$$ went a little easier on them.  Full details
of that were reported here on the list about a year ago.  I believe only one
other DivI team was banned from NC$$ play, I am not sure which team it was
so I won't talk about that but it may be in the archives.

Plattsburgh, which won the DivIII national title this year, was stripped of
its national championship of a few years ago and also was suspended from
NC$$ play at the time.  I believe this was the first year they were allowed
back in the tourney - quite a way to get back in.

The death penalty has never been given to a hockey team.  There are actually
not many cases of serious NC$$ sanctions being placed upon hockey programs.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)