From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1992 23:36:09 CST
>              How can one not hate UND's Goon Squad?  So I hate NMU (and UND,
> and the Cheeseheads) - so what?  I mean, I'm not throwing dead rodents out
> on the ice or anything.

Well, I don't like being lumped in there with NMU and UND (did
you mean uNd or uMd ?) We need good nicknames for them too....
but I'm glad your not throwing dead things (or any thing, except
an earned hat) on the ice....

Number one on my (and many Wisconsin fan's) list of disliked
teams is North Dakota. Minnesota is the other popular choice, but
it isn't hatred, like it is for many when it comes to UND. Certainly
the number one disliked WCHA coach among Badger fans is UND's Gino
Gasparini. I think most of the fans respect the other coaches (or
don't care). But Gino .....

>              Or when Minnesota played Harvard in the '89 final - *every*
> non-contesting fan - from Maine, Michigan St., Wisconsin, UND - they all
> rooted for Harvard.  Everyone hates the Gophers - why can't a Gopher fan
> hate everyone else?  Society made me what I am.    :-)

> DAMN STRAIGHT I'm gonna root for the WCHA - NO MATTER WHAT.

I usually root for whatever WCHA team is still playing, unless I
have something against the team that year. Of course, I haven't
made it to the final four yet.... so my rooting was at home.

I mean, of course I was amused that Minnesota is now 0-5 in the WCHA
Playoff Championships since they were created (and held every year in
St. Paul). Oooops... I guess I'm giving the GOOOOFER fans a hard time :-)
(Seriously, congrats on winning the WCHA regular season and good luck
in the NCAAs -- until Wisconsin plays you again....)

	--david

--------
david parter				university of wisconsin -- madison
[log in to unmask]			      computer sciences department