From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1992 10:22:11 CST
Here are some thoughts that occurred to me during the WCHA Phinal
Phour in St. Paul last weekend:

North Dakota Fighting Soup:
   Sooner or later North Dakota will need to consider changing its team
name to something that doesn't identify an ethnic group.  Perhaps the
safest thing to do is choose an inanimate object, like the Moorhead
Spuds who appeared in the Minnesota high school hockey tournament this
month.  The name I suggest is the Fighting Soup.  It sounds about the
same as Fighting Sioux, so the cheers wouldn't need to change much.
Others such as "Eat 'em up" and "Soup is good food" would add variety.
The revised uniforms could feature a soup can on the front, and crossed
soup spoons rather than tomahawks on the shoulders.   It's just too bad
that they don't play in the Campbell Conference.

Cold Buttered Stroh's
   I was sure that was what the vendor was hawking, giving me visions of
a glass of Stroh's beer with a butter pat floating in it.  No thanks, I'll
pass.  It turned out he was selling "Cold Bud or Stroh's".  Never mind.

Pandering to Cheeseheads Award
   Goes to Northern Michigan's band for playing "On Wisconsin" to incite
the Wisconsin fans during the Minnesota-NMU championship game.  Hmmph.
At least they didn't play the Budweiser song.

-- Erik (who is not, and never has been a student at Cornell)
Go Gophers!  1991-92 WCHA Champions