Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1992 13:02:04 EST
Here's my two cents on the All-CCHA selections:

  Goaltender:  1. Darrin Madeley, LSSU
               2. Jon Hillebrandt, UIC
              HM. Mike Gilmore, MSU
              HM. Craig Brown, WMU
    They hit this one right on the head.  Madeley is a given.  He's the
best goalie in the nation for the second straight season (sorry Bill Pye)
and should finish #1 or #2 in the Hobey Baker balloting.  I've felt all
season that Hillebrandt is better than Gilmore, but that Gilmore would be
placed in front because he's a senior (Hillebrandt is a freshman).  To my
suprise, the coaches see it the same way I do.  Michigan's Steve Shields
finished seventh, right about where he belongs.  He has Garth Snow-itis,
a low GAA, a great winning percentage -- but does it all for an excellent
team.  I don't think that Shields could carry this team if he was needed
to.  I still feel that Chris Gordon is Michigan's best goalie.

  Defense:  1. Mark Astley, LSSU
            1. Joby Messier, MSU
            2. Joe Cook, Miami
            2. Steve Barnes, LSSU
           HM. Patrick Neaton, Michigan
           HM. Aaron Ward, Michigan
    Astley and Messier both deserve all-CCHA honors.  I'm not convinced
that Astley warranted unanimous selection, but obviously the coaches are.
Barnes is o.k., I'm not going to pitch a huge fuss over his selection.
Cook, someone must be joking.  Miami has made a living off of Western Mich
this season -- those must be the games that Cook was judged on.  I never
even notice the guy (but I'll be sure to keep an eye on him this weekend).
Last season, Neaton was 2nd team all-CCHA and Ward was all-rookie.  Neither
of them have had the same type of season in 1991-92.  Neaton has picked it
up a bit as of late, but neither he or Ward deserve honorable mention.
Michigan's Chris Tamer does (nuff said).  The killer here is the overlooking
of Michigan's David Harlock.  IMHO, Harlock is THE BEST PLAYER I'VE EVER
SEEN AT MICHIGAN.  Felsner is certainly the best collegian and has the
talent to do well in the NHL, but Harlock will make the NHL his playground.
The guy is an ox of a defenseman.  Please take down the name, David Harlock,
and laugh at me down the road if he doesn't become a crafty 8-12 year NHL
veteran.

  Forward:  1. Denny Felsner, Michigan
            1. Dwayne Norris, MSU
            1. Keith Jones, WMU
            2. Sandy Moger, LSSU
            2. Peter Holmes, BGSU
            2. Martin Jiranek, BGSU
           HM. Bryan Smolinski, MSU
           HM. David Oliver, Michigan
    Not a bad field.  Felsner should win the Hobey Baker.  Norris should
be a 1st team all-American.  Jones has had a decent career and deserves
at least a 2nd team nod.  Moger is rough, but nonetheless belongs here.
Holmes and Jiranek are a great pair.  They're almost impossible to split
up, so it's either 2nd team or HM for both of them.  I can't say that they
don't deserve 2nd team, so leave them there.  Smolinski has never impressed
me.  Oliver had a solid season (he slowed down some when he wasn't on
Felsner's line), and deserves HM or even 2nd team.  The non-picks that
suprise me are the following:  Michigan's Brian Wiseman -- he's a chippy
player, but explosive offensively and has 67 point in 40 games -- he should
be on the 2nd team; Michigan State's Peter White -- White and Norris had
great seasons, Norris is all-everything and White is a nobody?, I don't
buy that; Ohio State's Brian Loney -- yes, I still would like to slap him
silly for his playoff cheap shot, but he did have a good season and I thought
that he might get HM.

Those are my views.  I'd like to hear from other CCHA followers what they
think of the selections.

John Haeussler
Univ of Michigan('89,'90)
GO BLUE!