Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1992 09:05:58 EST
I tried this message earlier but was unsuccessful.  Here we go again.

 Some brief notes from the Michigan-Ohio State series:

   Friday     Michigan  4  Ohio State  2
   Saturday   Michigan  9  Ohio State  4

 Neither team played too exceptionally on Friday, but the bitter feelings
 between the two were evident.  Saturday's game was hardly a game at all.
 Michigan exploded for a 4-0 first period lead and coasted from there.

 OSU netminder Mike Bales played better than I had ever seen on Friday
 (which isn't saying much, and Keith Instone informed me that Bales can
 play even better), but was back to his old self on Saturday.  I've
 personally seen Bales 8 times in the last 2 seasons.  He's 0-7-1 with
 59 goals allowed.  He did, however, close Michigan down for the final
 15 minutes on Saturday (knowing full well that a 10th goal would mean
 free pizza for a hungry crowd).

 Denny Felsner had a 7-point weekend (4-1-5 on Saturday) to close out his
 career at Yost.  Brian Wiseman was also hot with 1-5-6 on Saturday.

 OSU's David Smith finished his career as I expected, cheap shotting his
 way through his final series.  In fact, this weekend was a mini-version
 of his entire career.  At times he displayed tremendous offensive talent
 including a break-away goal in Saturday's game.  He also displayed his
 characteristic team leadership and his tenacity on face-offs.  Too bad
 that he leaves the CCHA with little or no respect, due to his punk style.

 Injury notes:  OSU's 6'6" defenseman Rob Peters received a second degree
 shoulder separation via a Rick Willis check in Friday's game.  Peters would
 be unable to return regarless of the length of OSU's season.  Michigan
 center Mark Ouimet, suffering all week from the flu, also left Friday's
 game with a shoulder injury and is questionable for the remainder of the
 season.  Michigan forward David Oliver had to be helped off of the ice on
 Saturday as a result of a patented Ohio State cheap shot.  I don't know
 the extent of his injury.  The play resulted in 25 OSU penalty minutes.
 Michigan forward Cam Stewart is o.k. after receiving a blind cross-check
 from OSU's Mike Merriman that sent him face/neck first into the crossbar.
 In what looked like the worst incident of the weekend but resulted in no
 serious injuries, Michigan's David Roberts appeared to have his face shield
 shattered by OSU's David Smith.  His shield didn't break, however, and
 Roberts received a hooking call.  Must have hooked him with his nose.
 To add a positive (if he's on your team), David Smith excels in drawing
 penalties.

 Michigan ends the season 6-0-0 vs. Ohio State.  They now face Miami, who
 they are 4-0-0 against, in the CCHA semi-finals.  Only a sweep at the hands
 of Bowling Green mars Michigan's record vs. Ohio teams this season.

 John Haeussler
 Univ of Michigan('89,'90)
 GO BLUE!