Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1992 13:42:17 PST
somehow i foresaw this division discussion devolving into such infantile drivel
as "My conference KICKS A$$!"

i have realized that there is one hackneyed sports cliche' that ties together
tournament selections, one-game playoffs, etc.:  "This is the playoffs.  Put up
or shut up."  If team X doesn't place very well in its division, and does not
place well in its division tournament, (for some reason, fourth place was the
number we assigned), then it should "shut up" if and when it does not get an
invite to the tournament.   They had two chances to get the job done and they
blew it.

Fourth place is not an immensely impressive finish for a league of 8 or 9
teams, no matter how strong the other league teams are.  Fourth placers
shouldn't be allowed to ride the statistical coat-tails of other teams into the
tournament.  ;-)   Even with 12 teams in the tournament, and 9 arbitrarily
assigned to automatic bids, there is still room for three "shut up" teams that
neither placed very well in their conference or won their tournament, and that
is not wholly unreasonable.  Is it?

Ross
-----
"I am free of all prejudices: I hate everyone equally."
	- W. C. Fields