Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1992 15:32:03 EST
It seems that each year one or more conferences change their playoff
structure as well as the final playoffs. They recently eliminated the
final consolation game (too bad, fans that traveled do want to see their
team play even if for 3rd place).

Part of the problem seems to be the growth of the number of Div I teams.
In the West about 20 yrs ago there was one league with about 10-12 teams.

I agree that ECAC teams have surprised in playoffs. About 10 years.ago
Providence when to the finals without much expectations.

Part of the problem in rating conferences is the lack of non-conference
games. This could be resolved by eliminating some conference games.
I know it would eliminate some rivalries, but the teams eliminated
could be rotated execpt for a designated couple that would always be scheduled.

Basketball gives a weight to a conferences previous conference playoff success
in determining the number of representative from each. Also - fan support is
factored in for financial reasons, but that is another story.

I don't really like a single game elimination but it seems to work in football.

The bottom line is, there can't be a perfect solution with the limited number
of games allowed both in the regular schedule and the playoffs. We could
just eliminate the playoffs and average the polls.

William Krebs