Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 1992 13:35:09 -0500
 From an article in the Star Tribune this morning by John Gilbert.

 It seemed like the perfect hat trick for the St Cloud State Huskies this
 weekend: the return of Olympian Bret Hedican, the chance to improve their
 playoff status and the opportunity to beat the Gophers -- the only WCHA team
 they haven't defeated.

 But injuries have taken their toll on the Huskies and they apparently won't
 have Hedican, although he practiced with the Huskies on Wednesday. Hedican is
 enrolled for the Spring semester and is eligible to play but is contemplating
 whether to play now and use up his year of eligibility or save it for next
 year. He has also talked with the St Louis Blues but didn't like their last
 offer.

 The Huskies have a real problem with all the injuries to their squad right
 now. They are down to four defensemen, three lines and two spare forwards. Two
 players will miss Friday's game because of suspensions due to DQ's last
 weekend.

 Lest the Gophers take their rival too lightly, it should be noted that the
 Huskies rallied from a four-goal deficit to tie Denver at the buzzer, then
 beat the Pioneers in overtime two weeks ago. And they rallied from a
 three-goal deficit to beat UMD the previous week.

 When St. Cloud State split with Northern Michigan last weekend, the Huskies
 outshot Northern 44-19 to win the first game 8-6. Northern coach Rick Comley
 was so frustrated with Scott Beattie's performance that he didn't dress
 Beattie for the second game, which Northern won 7-1.

 "We've won 12 games, which is what we won all of last season," Dahl said,
 "We've won three out of four from North Dakota, and we're 2-2 against Northern
 Michigan. And Minnesota is the onl;y team int he league that we've never
 beaten."

 Tony Bianchi and Brandon Steege will play this weekend due to the injury to
 Joe Dziedzic.

 Minnesota-Duluth has also been plagued by injury problems. They currently have
 four regular players injured.

 And from a note in the Minnesota Daily today:

 After Minnesota's success in hosting a game at Met Center, the Huskies are
 making a bid to hold one of their 1992-93 home games against the Gophers at the
  Bloomington facility. Dahl anticipates that the Huskies could sell out the
 15,000 seat rink because of a large alumni and stiudnet population in the Twin
 Cities area.

 "On the preliminary schedule, the game would be played while our school (SCSU)
 is on break," Dahl said. "Since most of our students are from the Twin Cities
 as well and many of them would be home for break, we're sure to have a good
 student crowd there."

 I guess I'm not surprised at St Cloud's jump on the $$$$ bandwagon as they
 charge $10.00 per seat for it's home games with the Gophers. When St Cloud
 plays any other teams the prices are $8.00 adult and $4.00 child. I don't  know
  what the student price is. I wonder how happy Norm Green will be with all of
 these offers. He couldn't have imagined that he'd create a monster! ;-)

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!           1991-1992   WCHA CHAMPIONS!!!!!