From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 12:09:36 -0500
On Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:23:29 -0600 Nathan Eric Hampton wrote:

> Seems to me the UNH vs Maine battle pales in comparison to BU vs Maine. Parker
> thinks the shine off his grey hair is a halo. It wasn't UNH that tried to keep
> Maine out of the Hockey East playoffs the year of their suspension was it?

Regardless of whomever tried to keep Maine out of the playoffs that year, and
whether you believe such an attempt was righteous, two undeniable facts remain.
BU and Maine ended up meeting on the ice to settle the score in the Hockey East
quarterfinals, and BU won the series 2-0.

They met in the first round at Walter Brown Arena despite the fact that the two
teams had the best records in the regular season.  If anything, BU was penalized
when Maine's regular season record was adjusted to reflect all the forfeits and
the Black Bears were then relegated to the bottom seed.  The Terriers won the
Hockey East regular season, only to face the runners-up in the first round.  So
what happened?  BU won on the ice fair and square.

The fact that anyone, be he in Orono or St. Cloud, should be grousing on Maine's
behalf over this incident *five years later* is pure sour grapes.

--
Edward N. Moller
Controller