Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1992 17:25:00 EDT
During last night's Colgate-Princeton game (a 6-4 Colgate win), Princeton
requested (and was granted) that the teams switch ends halfway through the
third period so that there was no advantage from the placement of the penalty
boxes.  I think that one of the penalty boxes opens just into one of the
team's zones and the other into the neutral zone, causing a slight advantage
for one team (i.e. Colgate) because for two periods their player steps out of
the penalty box on-sides (there is no two-line offsides in the ECAC; i'm not
sure about the other leagues).  At any rate, the request rather surprised me
as I have never seen anything like it before...I was just wondering if anyone
else out there ever has...

For the record, the two teams dutifully switched ends at the first stoppage
of play after the 10:00 mark of the third period (with a bit of confusion).
Colgate scored once before the switch and each team scored twice after.

Carl Lindberg
clindberg@colgateu
GO 'GATE!