From:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:30:39 -0500
A few comments....

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Kepler wrote:
> True enough, though Lindros --though the poster child for the trend -- is
> still an exceptional talent.  As long as the game remains primarily clutch
> and grab, for all the usual Missing the Point (tm) reasons, you'll still see
> the GM's go for the big guys.  Under the current style it makes some sense,
> however much we'd like to see the current style go away.

My main gripe about Lindros (besides his goon-style of play) is the hype
that surrounds him.  People compare him to Gretzky, and that's absurd.
"The Great One" is the greatest player to play in the NHL, period.
Lindros has a LONG way to go to match Gretzky, let alone qualify for the
Hall of Fame.  As for the bigger=better mentality, I think that the Red
Wings have done a good job of proving this wrong the last couple of years.

> The top line on even a mediocre team
> in the WHL has more finesse, skating strength, and ability than the top line
> on any NCAA team.  I watched a substantial number of games in both the
> juniors and the colleges last year, and if there is a talent difference
> between the two, the advantage goes to the juniors.  I wince when I say that
> , as a huge booster of college hockey, but the draft and performance in the
> NHL overwhelmingly argue against the disparaging comment above.

I think that you misunderstood me a little.  I wasn't saying that the
NCAA's put out better talent, I was saying that the Major Juniors are
putting out talent that is garbage when compared to the talent that was in
the league when I was growing up (the 1980's).  The fact that most teams
play clutch and grab, goon-like hockey proves that Canadian Hockey Talent
is not what it could or should be.  If the Major Juniors are going to
produce most of the NHL talent, then they should do better than they are
now.  If it wasn't for the European presence, the NHL would be in horrible
shape right now.

Fighting Sioux Hockey
Div. I National Champions:
1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997.