From:
"NWLB (E-Ticket)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 17:36:53 -0400
I have said it before and still feel its true.  A Big Ten conference won't
rule the world of college hockey, and I don't think they will even try.
Right now they have a footprint covering two conferences.  The respective
members in those leagues are able to enjoy better chances at a league
title than they would if combined into a single league.  If anything it
would lessen the leagues appeal and impact, drive down the TV appeal of
the other conferences, and that would only further lessen the Big Ten's TV
impact.  The core base of college hockey fans will always enjoy the game.
But if the rich kids take all their toys and go home, those fans arn't
going to care.  And without an abundance of other leagues for the Big Ten
to face off aginst in non-conference play, and the NCAA tourney, the
conference brand name in my view becomes moot.  More over, I don't think
the Big ten, competeing as a conference, would win as many titles as they
have the chance too now.  And when, not if the tourney expands, they'll be
competeing against a larger field, made up of teams that would have better
chances of knocking them off in a one game stand.

I just don't think there is the opportunity that so many folks are utterly
convince is there to profit and dominate.  And I reject the view that the
"rest of hockey" would benifit from a brand name Big ten conference.  Nor
do I think they'd somehow emerge as the dominate conference, indeed I
think they'd be just another league after things settled down.

If they do it, then they are just being the kind of narrow minded fools
that screw most good things up in this world.

Nathan W.L. Boyle