From:
"Andrew J. Weise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew J. Weise
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 08:18:46 -0500
UNH came out flying - I didn't see any rust at all. They controlled the
first period, yet still came out 1-1. That was only because Wisconsin's
goal was knocked in by a UNH defender. Wisconsin did hold their ground
for the most part just to keep things even.

It then became ugly for the goalies. Matile was beaten for two quick Wisconsin
goals in the second and it looked like UNH was about to lay down & die.
They kept coming, though and scored late in the second on a mini-rush
into the Badger zone. I don't remember who scored for UNH, but the
shot came from the top of the faceoff circle to Melanson's right. He had a
clear view of the shot, yet it still made it through. 3-2 after two periods.

UNH scored 4 unanswered goals in the third, two of which were deflections
off of Melanson's skate. He seemed a little rattled, but Jeff Sauer left him
in. Before you knew it, it was 6-3. Wisconsin scored with (I believe) about
7 or 8 minutes left to make it 6-4 - this is one that Matile should have
stopped,
also, but it trickled through his legs. Wisconsin pulled Melanson late in the
third, but Mark Mowers scored the empty-netter.

The story was the goaltending. UNH's first two goals in the third took
Wisconsin off their game and never caught up. Today's second game
will be fun - a pumped up, fresh UNH team against a BU team that
hasn't played since March 15th.

-Andy