Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1992 08:37:12 PST
Hmmm. . . that comment Mike made about TCHCR being like an electronic network
got my harware minded gEEk brain churning a little bit.  I wonder how practical
it would be to set up a hockey ranking machine, nothing more than resistors
(the value of which is dependant upon the outcome of a game) and diodes (which,
for you non-EE types, are devices which let current flow only in one
direction.)

This is something too interesting for me to let go.  Instantaneous ranking
according to voltage or something like that.

(WARNING: the next part of this letter is really esoteric and only suitable for
EE's and such.)  Imagine a voltage source.  This is my equivalent of dear old
Basis Tech.  Every team is connected to the source and ground via resistors.
For each game played, you connect a resistor and a diode in series in the
direction of the winning team, a larger resistor value for the smaller margin
of victory.  This way, the losing team now has current flowing out of its node
via two paths, the pulldown resistor and the connection to the other team.
Similarly, the other team gains in ranking (voltage) since it has two current
sources. (Ties could be handled with just a resistor and no diode)

Q: is TCHCR's model similar to this?  this could be set up on paper with node
equations and stuff.  I am going to play with this idea.  Picture a wooden
board, about 2 feet by 2, with 45 nails in it and enough nail sticking out to
solder about 35 wires to it (one per game).  By the end of the season, there
are 700 wires jumping between teams.  Just plug it in and measure each teams'
success with a volt-meter.  but i won't try it unless a little league of teams
works first.  and it's almost lunch-time, so i can go back to the lab and try
this. . .

does anyone have any thoughts on this?  it's not earth-shattering thesis grade
stuff, but an interesting diversion.

Ross (RPI `91; EE - can't you tell?)

ps. Mike's dad made some really perceptive comments about Croce. . . he's
clearly an intelligent man . . one wonders why he is _not_ a hockey fan . . .?
;-)