From:
"TERRY A. MAY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1992 11:09:35 -0500
       Director of Research Administration
       ADMG2F7@NAUVM
      Greetings to all from the mountains of northern Arizona. It is great to
 hear about a wonderful collegiate sport after having left the east for some
 time.
      Club hockey began at Northern Arizona University in 1971 and was
 converted to a varsity sport in 1981. Hockey was dropped abruptly in 1986 for
 primarily financial reasons over the strong feelings of a number of persons in
 the University as well as the local community of Flagstaff. After five years,
 the University has again formally recognized an NAU Ice Hockey Club which is
 currently forming a team to begin play this spring on a limited basis. It is
 planned that a full 24-game schedule will be arranged during the 1992-93
 academic year.
      This return is largely due to the efforts of Doug Allan, a former
 assistant coach with the NAU Lumberjacks, who stayed in Flagstaff as a local
 businessman in 1986. The team will play at the Jay Lively Memorial Ice Rink in
 Flagstaff.
      We would enjoy hearing from all who may have had some contact with club
 hockey in the west or Northern Arizona University over the years.
      We hope to schedule games with club teams in Phoenix (home of the
 Roadrunnners), Tucson, the west coast and Colorado. Please let me know if
 there are any club representatives on the list from these areas.
      On a different subject, the USA Hockey Magazine Vol 13, No. 7 reports
 that an Olympic sized arena is being planned for Utah on the campus of Weber
 State University in Ogden. Utah will be America's choice for the 2002 games.
 Weber State has expressed interest in the possibility of building a Division I
 program.
      We hope that both programs grow and prosper over time.

 Terry (office:602/523-4880 FAX:602/523-4230)
       Box 4130, Office of Grant and Contract Services
       Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ  86011