From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 19:31:01 -0500
this is basically a summary of Eric Olson's Omaha World-Herlad article...I
thought it'd make for some interesting discussion, my own remarks are placed
thruout the summary.

It would make sense for UNO to join the WCHA, in fact they've been building
a program with the WCHA in mind: They've consulted the WCHA commisioner,
hired a coach with WCHA connections, and loaded up a mostly WCHA schedule.

UNO would probably fit right in to the WCHA too, they've been competitive in
all but 1 or 2 games (Friday's 11-0 loss to Maine, and the game up at
Wisconsin), sold out every home game with 8,314 tickets, and play in a big
market city (by college hockey standards).

Yet UNO may end up exploring 2 other conferences, since all the WCHA is
sending are encouragements, but nothing substantial as of yet. There is no
guarantee the WCHA will ever let them in, and the Mavs are looking to join a
conference ASAP.

Enter the CCHA. The Commissioner has said they are always looking to expand,
and if UNO is interested, they might vote on them this April and if
accepted, allow UNO to enter the conference in the 1999-2000 season. the
WCHA, on the other hand, has pretty much said UNO can't enter til 2000-2001
at best.

A lesser but third possibility is (My eyes bugged out when i read this part)
Hockey East. I think the HE Commish has taken a liking to UNO with our 2-3
record against HE teams, and although the travel expenses for UNO probably
wouldn't be any worse than if they joined the WCHA or CCHA, the expenses for
HE teams coming to Omaha would prolly require a guarantee on UNO's part. HE
is also only at 9 teams, and is looking to expand.

I personally could see UNO joining the CCHA, HE I doubt (though, no offense
to CCHA people, I'd rather see UNH, Maine, BC, etc over Michigan, MSU, ND, etc.)
and the WCHA, well, we shall see.

I will say this, it's in WCHA hands right now, and I personally hope that IF
(not saying they will, but they might) they make the mistake of passing the
ball to one of the other conferences, that it comes back to bite em in the a...

Ben F.
U!N!O! U!N!O!