From:
Tony Hejna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1992 12:25:40 EST
  Well folks, for those of you who aren't lucky enough to get Bob
Croce everyday in your paper, here is what he said in Today's ATU.

  "......A RANK TOPIC: All this talk lately in college hockey hotbeds
about power ratings and polls has made me realize how it's really a trivial
topic.
      I mean, even "THE TU TOP 10" should be discussed in the vein that
it exists - for fun and amusment only. That should be true of sports in
general: you can talk about it, be entertained by the discussion, then forget
it and get on with your real life.
      When I wrote about Keith Instone's THE COLLEGE HOCKEY COMPUTER RANKING
(TCHCR for short) two weeks ago, it caused such a violent discussion on
one computer network across the nation you'd think I had spat on someone's
mother.  It made me realize some disturbed people are indeed vested with
computer passwords.
      I'v also now realized you can set up such so called power ratings systems
to agree with anything. It can even be made to seem that Union College, yes
the same team that has won just two games, is the best of the best in Division
I.
      Consider: Boston University beat the consensus No. 1, The University of
Maine; University of New Hampshire beat BU; RPI beat UNH; Dartmouth beat RPI,
and Union beat Dartmouth. Thus the Dutchmen must be better than the Black
Bears.
      Right?"     ---Albany Times Union  Wed, Jan 22, 1992.