From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1992 16:23:59 GMT
This is forwarded from John Haeussler @ Michigan, who is having
trouble posting to the list.
------------
From:	MX%"[log in to unmask]" 22-JAN-1992 07:54:10.90
Subj:	Re: scoring

When a basketball is inadvertantly tipped in by a defensive player, the
basket is awarded to the nearest offensive player.  As far as hockey goes,
I'm in favor of the current rule structure regarding deflected goals and
goals scored by members of the defense.  Does anyone remember the 1986
Smythe Division Stanley Cup playoffs when Edmonton defenseman Steve Smith's
clearing pass deflected off of Grant Fuhr's skate and into the net for the
GWG in a 3-2 Calgary win in game 7?  I don't recall which Flame was credited
with the goal, but he was no nearer to the net than the Edmonton blue line.
Sometimes these things happen.

John Haeussler
Univ of Michigan ('89,'90)
GO BLUE!