From:
David Morgenstern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 15:39:47 -0500
Before we go indicting the whole Maine program because of a hit from
behind, let's keep in mind that these hits are taking place all over the
place, at all levels of hockey.  The coaches can only do so much to prevent
it.  I would love to see a coach take it upon himself to punish his own
player for a blatant cheap shot but lets be serious, it isn't going to
happen.  At least not in a way that hurts the team's chances of winning.

Make no mistake, I am no Walsh or Maine fan, but this is unfair to him.  I
happen to be a big BU fan and have great respect for Jack Parker, but this
past weekend two of his players received 5 minute majors for hitting from
behind, does that mean BUs program is morally deficient?  No, and while I
know Jack will rip those players a new one in the privacy of the BU locker
room, there is nothing, short of throwing the offending player off the
team, he can do to gaurantee that this will not happen ever again.

The real solution has to come from the people that make the rules.  I
assume the coaches can have an impact on that.  Maybe someone who knows
more about that process can elaborate further.  Until then, the coaches can
only do so much.

Most importantly, I am happy to hear Mowers is ok.

Greenie asked for some weekend info, I'll add my two cents on the BU
weekend.  I only saw the last half of each game so I mised a lot of action.
BU looked pretty good 5 on 5, but when they got on the PP, look out.  They
were deadly on the PP.  I'm just pulling a number out of the back of my
head right now but they must have had at least 5 on the PP this weekend.
The PK was good when it mattered.  In the Clarkson game they spent the
first half of the third down a man (or two at times).  The game was a 2
goal game at the time.  Clarkson could hardly muster a shot.  The PK was
fantastic.  BU was badly outshot, something like 31 to 19 but Noble was
great when he had to be to earn his second career shutout (only 2 was a bit
of a surprise to me).  With all the inexperienced players BU has this year
it seems that their success will depend on the special teams and
goaltending.  If they can stay even with the good teams at even strength,
they should be able to win the games on the PP.  One good sign so far is
that Drury isn't doing all the scoring.  He was held pointless in the SLU
game and they still scored 6.  While it may not be helping his Hobey
chances, it is a promising sign for the team.  But before anyone thinks he
isn't playing well, make no mistake, he is playing well in all zones out
there.  His contribution to this team can't be measured in just points.

One other tidbit, the announcers showed a graphic that said BU was off to
their best start since 1978.  Any BU fan worth anything knows what happened
that year.  While they do have a great record so far, I think this team is
far from at its potential.  I hope they can reach it.  I do expect a slump
at some point just because of all the freshman being played.  That's it for
now.

Dave