From:
David Morgenstern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:42:56 -0400
Actually, I am pretty certain that a team has two years to sign a draftee
(not including college years).  For instance, the Bruins have until 99 to
sign Thornton, or he goes back in for the 99 draft.  This was the deal with
Lindros.  He said he wouldn't sign with Quebec.  They waited him out one
whole year, and then realized they would lose him without any compensation,
so they traded him.  But I am positive they still had another year to try
and convince him that Quebec City isn't so bad (No knocks on Canada here, I
love the place).

As for the 18 - 19 year old thing.  I too thought that only 19 year olds
(or those about to be 19) were eligible.  I remember when the last CBA was
signed that was one of the provisions.  The only thing I can think of is
that hasn't taken effect yet.  Anyone know where we can look that up?

Also, can anyone of the Minnesota fans (or haters who watched enough of
them) give me some details on Clymer?  The papers here didn't have that
much on him,  but what they had I liked.  Anyone know how long he will stay
in school?

Thanks,
Dave