From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 02:56:49 -0700
From the home office in lovely-yet-scenic Victoria, after a good week of
procrastinating, number-crunching, trying to do my tax return at the same
time and confusing the two (until I was told that entering "UND" under
marital status was a bad idea :-) ), we have the results of the NC$$
Pool. First, I do apologize for the delay. I should also thank Josh
Kleinbaum, who did quite a large part of the work on the contest.

We had 135 entries received this year. As you may recall, the tiebreaker
was total goals in the tournament. That turned out to be 85.

The winner of the 1997 Hockey-L Ceramic Dalmation is Carol Belfiori of
Merrill, Wisconsin. She earned 20 out of a possible 25 points. She did
pick North Dakota to win, and thought 42 goals would be scored.

The rest of the top 10 is: (goal difference in brackets)
2) Steve Glazewski  19 pts  94 goals (9)
3) Tim Reese        19 pts  39       (46)
4) Kirk Eisenbeis   18 pts  90       (5)
5) Mark Lewin       18 pts  69       (16) *Top Easterner
6) Christine Quinn  18 pts  55       (30)
7) Margie Rennett   18 pts  54       (31)
8) Dave Morgenstern 18 pts  51       (34)
9) Robb Newman      18 pts  33       (52)
10) Charlie Shub    18 pts  11       (74)

The average for the contest was 11.85. The BU win over Michigan kept that
number down. Had Michigan won that game, the average would have gone up
nearly two full points. 22 entries scored 13 points and 23 entries scored 10
points.

Out of 135 entries, 86 picked Michigan to win, 19 picked North Dakota, 10
picked Clarkson, 7 picked BU and 4 picked Minnesota. MSU, UNH and Miami
were each picked by 2 people while CC and Cornell each had 1 die-hard.
;-) Nobody picked Denver.

Only Tim Reese earned a perfect 16 points in the Regionals. Steve
Glazewski, Blake Reincke, Matt Sullivan and Bret Marr were the only four
people to correctly predict the Phinal Phour results. Only Jason Straub
correctly guessed the number of goals scored in the tournament.

Other notables:
Jason Roy was the top non-American with 15 points (33rd place).
Bill Fenwick finished 37th with 14 points.
Mike Machnik was 70th with 11 points.
CHODR finished 80th with 10 points (but beat its owner, who got 8 points)
Adam Wodon was tied for 85th with 10 points.
John Haeussler was 89th, also with 10 points.
Josh Kleinbaum ended up tied for 98th with 10 points (but loses family
bragging rights as his dad got 13 points and 55th spot. :-) )

Proving once again that those can - do, and those who can't - administer,
I finished tied for 115th with a whopping 8 points.

The lowest entry had four points. Should you wish to find out exactly
where you placed, feel free to email me.

John,
Contest-boy

--
John Edwards, BA                  Minister of Chasing Wild Geese (DNRC)  O-
[log in to unmask]       http://www.islandnet.com/~jedwards