Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 90 14:54:00 EST
The Notre Dame hockey team traveled to Kent, Ohio this past weekend
and won it's first game of the season, 7-4. It was a good game
between two evenly matched, "average Division I" hockey teams.
On Saturday night the Fighting Irish came from behind in the closing
minutes of the game to score two goals and tie the game at 5-5.
Freshmen goaltender Greg Louder continues to impress all who see him.
He saved the game in the closing minutes of regulation with an incredible pad sa
ve.  He is very, very good and unfortunately will be over worked
(although not under loved) this season. As has been mentioned before
the Notre Dame hockey program is in the midst of convincing the N.D.
administration that hockey belongs in the shadow of the Golden
Dome. We have eight scholarships now divided seventeen ways. Next
season we will have a grand total of 10 scholarships. Ultimately
we would like to join the CCHA and compete for the national
tournament.  But first, we must attract alot more fans to the
Joyce Athletic and Convocation Center.  Last year we averaged about
1500 per contest.  We need more.
To respond to a question from Minnesota, the Irish lost to Alaska-
Fairbanks 4-3, and 2-0 at the new Carlson Center in Fairbanks. It
is am impressive 12 million structure with Olympic size ice much
like the new center in St.Cloud Minnesota. It's a long way to travel
for hockey games but where else can you go dog mushing on the morning
of a game?  Only in Fairbanks!  Look for Fairbanks to pull off the
off upset this year.  They are young in class (older in actuality)
with alot of western Canadians.
Other Independent news: Alaska-Anchorage defeated St Scholastica
from Duluth, MN by the scores of 14-0, 7-0.  New Hampshire beat
Air Force 8-3, 6-2. Fairbanks did not play and the Huntsville scores
against Windsor were not available.
Finally, the hockey community will sorely miss Bob Kullen. We are
hard pressed to find the superlatives to describe Bob. Our heart goes out to his
 wife and family.