From:
"Brett C. Harvey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brett C. Harvey
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 10:15:04 -0600
>One thing that upset me was the fan reaction when Leitza went down after
>getting a stick in the neck area behind the net.  Upon initial hit, I
>wasn't sure what had happened.  But the good guys at MSC get all the
>angles, and to me it looked like a stick had just clipped his neck or
>possibly even his face.  When he got up, there was a chorus of boos.
>Frank Mazzacco and Tom Reid were very critical of the fans, and you could
>tell that they were trying to be as impartial as possible.  They seemed
>to be concerned about Leitza going down.

Having attended this game I'd like to make a comment.  I had SEVERAL SCSU
fans around me ( I was severly outnumbered where I was sitting)- it was
THEM who were booing because there was no call -- NOT the UM fans boing
Leitza upon getting up.  The SCSU fans believe a penalty should have been
called and were heavily booing.  I can't speak for other sections - but I
can speak for where I was sitting.

After watching the replay several times now (I tape the games) it' s still
difficult to see exactly where he was hit (face,neck) - the initial slash
appeared to be the mid section.

Go Gophers!

Brett C. Harvey