From:
"Andrew J. Weise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew J. Weise
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 20:23:13 -0500
>By this team next week, the RPI / Union rivalry will have taken
>several giant steps toward becoming a mutual rivalry.

I think the rivalry has escalated in the past couple of years. It
really started (IMO) with the 1994 ECAC quarterfinals. Union was this
unexpected underdog that rolled into the playoffs and surprised
everyone.

Many expected a sweep (probably even the RPI players), but when
Union won the first game, it gave the entire Albany-Schenectady-Troy
area a wake-up jolt. RPI took that wake-up call and won the next
two games, but the rivalry was born.

Since then, Union has been disappointing and RPI has done just about
what was expected of them, with possible exception of the 1995 ECAC
Championship. But each game between Union & RPI has been heated. The
atmosphere at the RPI Fieldhouse is pretty much nothing compared
to that of Achilles Rink, in my opinion. Regardless, you could feel
the tension at each game.

I think that tension may not be strong enough of a word this weekend.

Andy Weise
SUNY Potsdam '93
Union College '95