Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 06:17:20 -0600
A close look at the stats Jim Teresco posted actually HURT my opinion of
Trevor Koenig.  Sure, he's been great and I think he should be a Hobey
finalist, but not the winner.

ALL five of the top goalies in terms of Save Percentage are from the
ECAC, as well as three of the top five in Goals Against.  This tells me
that scoring is way down in the league, adding glitz to the netminders
numbers.

The interesting question is why this is.  Are there several teams with
truly inept offenses?  Has there been a wholescale shift to defensive
tactics by a number of coaches?  Is there some way that the officials
are applying the rules that hinders offensive play?

In the second or third case, the person whose season looks more
impressive is Todd White.  My call is still for Brendan Morrison, but
this does call for a second look.

J. Michael Neal