From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 05:38:11 EST
Thanks to Chris Lerch for posting the list of the 21 players who made
the NCAA 50th Anniversary team.  My understanding from when the list
of over 100 nominees was posted a while ago was that to be eligible
one had to play in the championship game.  It was not necessary for
the person to be on the winning team, and it was not sufficient to play
in the tourney.  This seems strange, but I will accept it.  Anyway,
the list that Chris posted contains years where the schools that the player
played on were in the tourney, not just those when the team made the finals.
This seems a bit inconsistent, but we are dealing with the NCAA.

As has also been stated the rules for who should be chosen were apparently
not stated clearly to the voters.  (Rules never seem to be stated clearly
to voters.)

Can someone tell me if Chris Terreri actually played in the tourney in
1983?  I know that Providence finished third that year, when he must have
been a freshman, but wasn't he the backup to someone whose name is escaping
me for the moment?  It still rankles me to see Terrari's name included
because he won the MVP in 1985 when several RPI players IMBO (B = biased)
should have won it over him.  (And probably the reason he won was that the
opposition vote was very divided.)

One more question, which hopefully some Cornell historian can answer. Dan
Lodboa is listed as playing only in 1970.  Is this correct?

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74
Eight nominees, and none of them made it.